Natural skincare products I'm loving
When I first started eating (mostly) paleo 3 years ago, it was for the distinct purpose of healing my skin. I never really considered the huge impact of what we eat has on our skin (and our overall health). And changing my mindset to see food as nourishment and focusing on choosing the most nutrient-dense options has also revived a love of cooking. There are so many amazing paleo/real-food recipes out there you guys!
But this lifestyle change has also made me readdress what I'm putting on my skin. I really don't like the idea of lots of chemicals and unpronounceable ingredients in either my food or my skincare products. I highly recommend reading Liz Wolf's Purely Primal Skincare Guide, which really opened my eyes to using food to combat skin problems. Plus, over the years, I've swapped almost all of my skin care products for more natural options. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Face cleanser: Every night to wash off my make-up I use a charcoal cleansing bar, such as this one from Herbivore Organics. I've even got Warren to try it and we both agree it cleans the skin very well, without overly drying. In the morning, I simply use a wet Norwex cloth.
- Toner: One of the first all-natural brands I tried was Primal Life Organics and they really do have some amazing products. Their Banished toner is still in my daily line-up. Just look at those yummy ingredients!
- Moisturizer: After I wash and tone, I use a simple moisturizer for during the day. First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair creme has been my staple for years. I stock up at Sephora every time I'm back in the US. At night (if I'm not using my Acne treatment, see below), I'll put on this Primal Life Organics Vitamin C serum, which is super luxurious and has already lasted me over a year. It makes my skin sooooo soft and radiant.
- Eye creme: If I'm feeling fancy, I'll put on this 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye cream. I just started using it over Christmas, so I'm not sure if it actually does much. But it smells amazing!
- Acne: I had heard good things about using ozonated oils to help combat bad skin. I've been using the Pur03 Ozonoated Jojoba Oil (in lavender) almost every night as my moisturizer. It smells funky, but I honestly don't mind it that much anymore (and Warren claims its not that bad), and I really think it has made a difference in keeping my skin clear.
- Deodorant: I absolutely try to avoid the ones with aluminum and there are so many great natural options out there. I've even made it myself a few times (the coconut oil version - I loved it). But it's fun to try new brands too. Right now I'm using Schmidt's Naturals Lavender + Sage deodorant jar, but I have heard great things about Primally Pure. I'd love to try their products, but unfortunately they don't ship to Switzerland, so I'll have to wait until the next time I'm home.
- Foundation: I like to keep my make-up routine simple and usually just use foundation and mascara and call it a day. For almost a year now I've been using Beautycounter Tint Skin foundation (in Sand) and loving it. They're another company with great ingredients and a great mission. I haven't tried anything else from them yet (please start shipping to Switzerland!!), but I plan to.
- Toothpaste/Floss: Not actually a skin care product, but another area where I've switched from traditional chemical-laden versions to more natural. One current trend is activated charcoal for whitening. Yes, it's weird having your mouth turn black but it seems to be working! And no complaints from my dentist yet (almost 35 years and still cavity-free over here!). I'm currently using Holistic Science Mineral Paste for toothpaste and I love Young Living's Thieves floss.